View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2018, 1:39 pm   #1
Croozer
Pentode

Default Mystery suitcase & unknown chassis

Following an auction, I have been gifted the contents of a mystery suitcase. Therewithin are the chassis of five ac/dc radios of various vintages, mainly octal valves, several missing, the obligatory dac90 (complete with ul41) - a car radio (with one valve missing) - and a mystery chassis.

It (mystery first photo) has two pairs of PL36s, an ecc82 and a mains (?) transformer. Each pair of PL36s has anodes in series with TX, all four cathodes are in series and there are no passive components on the board except a 4mFd smoothing condenser. Some sort of power supply?? I have no idea.

Beyond that, I now have an interesting collection of bits. None of the chassis are complete. The best of the output valves are gone although there are a couple of interesting examples:

-A 50L6gt which I assume is a 50v version of a 6L6
-A CBL31 which claims to be a double diode pentode (why?)
-A couple of CY31 rectifiers(steam punk full wave PSU?)
-A number of EF39 RF pentodes (could these be used at AF as drivers?)
-A couple of double diode triodes (which could be used at AF)
-Various frequency changers (add a tuning condenser and an Osc coil - does that give the guts of a pantry TX?)
-All those PL36s. (TV line output valve?? probably hardy beasts? Do they behave like ordinary high slope pentodes? Are they linear enough to be used as class A amplifiers? Or are they more intended to be heavy duty switches?)

No cabinets and nothing (as far as I can see) that is unique enough to merit a restoration - but plenty of useful bits - output transformers, mains droppers, ul41s .... (drop me a pm if there is anything specific you see and need and i can send for postage).

I've got so many bits and so little knowledge. How creative can I be with this collection of components - what novelties in construction? Unconventional AF amp? FM slope detector? Pantry TX?
Answers on the back of a 10/- note....