View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2017, 10:18 am   #40
GrahamN
Hexode

Default Re: Radiophile Auction - The future

I have in the past uploaded details of auction lots - particularly rare valves etc., but the overall attendance of the auction really didn't change, and it is difficult to get Chas to agree to changes without being able to demonstrate improvements. The other difficulty is that catalogues are rarely done more than a few days before the auction (probably mainly because Chas is doing all the work for these) and the priority is then getting out catalogues to subscribers.

I did suggest a few years ago that catalogues (or parts thereof) could be given free on the website, but the revenue lost from subscribers then non renewing is unlikely to be matched by increased attendance, so again isn't really viable.

The 'Auction Manager' idea was probably the best way forward, but after the problems the last time this was tried, I'm not sure that Chas would be happy to try again.

I believe helpers get free admission, and I'm pretty sure that regular helpers get free catalogues (though I don't pretend to understand Chas's system of who gets what!), but I understand the catering is done by a third-party, so again the cost of such concessions comes into the equation. It would be all right if each auction made a few thousand pounds, but when they are such low margin operations every penny counts!