View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2017, 12:40 am   #62
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Oh No! Not another howler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
There may be all sorts of reasons for this radio to misbehave. I have satisfied myself that it is not a component that I can change that is at fault: they have all been checked one way or another.
As the 8k2 grid resistor has stopped the oscillation and the set is as sensitive and selective as the 2 others of the same model that I have, it has been moved to the "done" pile. I am not going back to spend more time on a £20 radio that is working fine.
Re: your last paragraph: IMHO, a very sensible conclusion. There are times when sheer pragmatism must dictate and call the shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
This one is an AC41: possibly the simplest Bush chassis of the period.
With all due respects to Bush Radio (especially of this vintage), it has always seemed to me that their radios were designed and built with cost very much in mind. Which implies that the design and assembly of this set could have been highly marginal. With the passage of many years, many tiny and subtle changes will have occurred - typically of a mechanical nature - all of which could easily be adequate to push the functionality of such a design 'over the edge' at a much later date.

Finally, I admire your patience & perseverance in attempting to find the cause.

Al

Last edited by Skywave; 14th Nov 2017 at 12:44 am. Reason: Add 2nd. quote to enhance continuity & relevance