View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2017, 5:02 pm   #31
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Gorilla Glue: your experiences & opinions

My vote would also go to Aerolite 306. Dad first got some in the 1950's, and never used his old fish glue pot again. Echoing the observation that glue can be stronger than the wood it joins, the leaflet that came with it recommended taking two pieces of scrap wood, making a cross using a simple 90 degrees overlap joint, and then trying to break it after the adhesive had been allowed to cure. Dad did this and, as the leaflet had envisaged, it took considerable force to break it, failure only taking place by tearing a chunk out of one of the pieces of wood. The only downside is its advised shelf life of 2 years for the powder (I found it OK after 10 years, but on going to my now 20-year-old-plus tin last week, it was unusable). The hardener was originally Formic Acid with an indefinite shelf life, but according to a recent image on the web this has been replaced by something different. The only readily-available national retailer seems to be Axminster Tools, but they are currently showing "out of stock" with delivery expected in 2 weeks or so.

My understanding is that some PVA glues intended for woodwork are acidic. Such glues should preferably not be used on paper or card items that are intended to last as the acid can cause long-term damage.

Edit: Just looked up the article referred to in #27, in which Aerolite 306 came top in performance.

Last edited by emeritus; 28th Oct 2017 at 5:18 pm.