View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2011, 3:36 pm   #39
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Hi,

I didn't intend cleaning anything until I had obtained first light but the LOPT area was incredibly dirty and I didn't want to install the replacement LOPT only to have to remove it later in order to clean this part of the chassis.

I was inspecting the chassis closely and wondered about how best to clean without disturbing anything when I noticed the aluminium cover could be removed by unscrewing three hex head self tappers. Now with the cover removed I had better access.

Its amazing how much time simple jobs take to accomplish; I spent over two hours polishing the cover and it now looks much better. The chassis though will never come up well because the plating is in poor condition and to do the job correctly would mean a complete strip which I'm not yet up to doing so I brushed out as much dirt as I could then sprayed with WD40 wiping it dry with a cloth; this hasn't improved its appearance much but at least it is now much cleaner and I can see the individual components; I pulled out two valves and cleaned them and cleaned the valve holders.

I'll take my time and fit the replacement LOPT and assemble everything on the bench coupling the CRT and speaker up then apply a bit of power in the hope of obtaining some response; I doubt very much this will be a quick restoration given what I've seen so far.

Now the milder weather is here I have other more pressing jobs to do around home but will keep working on this chassis as time permits.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LOPT area cleaned..jpg
Views:	265
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	49739   Click image for larger version

Name:	LOPT surround polished..jpg
Views:	243
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	49740