View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 9:43 am   #17
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Re: Advance type 63A

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTechFan96 View Post
Could you please post the manual you are using? And some photographs of the front of the unit?
The manual I have here is actually for the type 63 rather than the type 63A. The type 63 does not have the X-Sweep control or output so there is no mention of that feature, nor is it found on the circuit diagram.

Quote:
I assume that the deviation controls how much the generator sweeps +/- the selected frequency?
Agreed, makes sense and that is what it appears to happening when I rotate the control, but what is the relationship to "Mains"?

Quote:
Did you connect your 'scope to the X out socket?
I checked the output voltage and had a look at the waveform starting at the 50v/div setting (with 10x probe) on the scope. The output voltage ranges approximately 100-250vpp depending on the position of the X-Sweep control. I didn't check the frequency but don't want to connect it to anything at the moment until I understand whether the voltage level is as should be and how this feature should be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
The connector is just known as the Pye plug: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&postcount=13
Thanks for the link to the other thread. I see that the type 63 mentioned there (as opposed to the 63A) has a different connector (see photo):

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...25&postcount=1

Is the one in the photo of the type 63 the male variant versus the female on the type 63A? I checked for example Cricklewood Electronics as well as eBay but couldn't find the male variant. Given how the attenuator module is constructed, fitting a modern N connector might be a difficult proposition. It is safe to insert a Belling Lee plug into this, or, given that it protrudes by 3mm or so, is this likely to cause damage to the centre conductor socket?

One other difference with this unit that it does not have a socket labelled "Crystal Check" like the type 63 or "Cal. Output" like I have seen on another type 63A. Instead, the socket on this unit is labelled "Phones". The actual contact is so deep within the unit (about 2.5in) I'm not sure quite what fitted into there. Would the service engineer have had a bespoke probe tool for that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front-pannel.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	210169  

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 3rd Jul 2020 at 9:59 am.