View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2020, 10:00 pm   #13
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Re: Advance type 63A

I took another look at the dent problem today and think I managed to get the worst of it out with the help of a G clamp. The perspex window had to be removed - which needed doing for cleaning anyway - so that the G clamp could reach and be positioned over the dent. First, the flaking paint was sealed with a bit of superglue to prevent more of it from breaking off. The clamp was then positioned through the dial window. A piece of flat steel was placed over the front to provide a solid flat surface to press against and the flat pad on one end of the G clamp was placed over the bump on the inside surface. The clamp was then gradually and carefully closed by rotating the screw handle. This has pressed out most of the crater and the outer surface is now quite flat except for that small dint. I was also able to straighten the metal collar around the hole for the frequency control spindle so that it sits flush with the case.

I am uncertain whether to press further with the G clamp to see whether that dint can be totally pressed out, or whether to quit while I am ahead? I am somewhat concerned that if the metal has stretched as seems likely, then pressing further might contort the panel in some unexpected manner. Unfortunately I don't have access to a fly press so I am now considering Andy's suggestion as it would probably look better to have a random screw head on the panel than a dint. Tomorrow I will have a look what I have in my box of bits that may be suitable and whether there is sufficient clearance on the inside to accommodate something. I suspect that once a suitably sized knob is fitted, that dent will probably be mostly covered anyway, so it might be best left as is. I will give it some further thought.

Once that is dealt with then the oscillator chassis can be re-installed and everything re-connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dent-03.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	209953