View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2012, 11:56 pm   #26
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Sluggish synchronous motor

I finally got around to measuring the inductance of the coils. Very crudely done, by connecting each coil in turn parallel to a 1µF capacitor, applying a 15V DC pulse, and measuring the frequency of the resulting ringing with the aid of an oscilloscope. The circuit is quite heavily damped so it was hard to get an accurate reading, but the period was approximately 10 ms which after doing the math comes out at 2.5H which at least is in the right ballpark as Colin's stated 1.7H above, and above all doing the measurement on all three terminals in succession gave the same result.

One thing I noticed though, that when applying 15V DC, the rotor would tend to try and rotate up to half a turn and stop there. That seemed quite far to me, although I don't really have any experience with this type of motor. I was expecting to feel some form of 'cogging in' when rotating the rotor by hand with the DC applied, but not the rotor going that far. Does that indicate that this motor type indeed does have permanent magnets in its rotor?

Tried operating the machine upside down to see if the motor went up to speed faster, but it was the same as right side up.