View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2011, 2:13 am   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Does Anyone Remember Frank Mozer Ltd and Crescent Radio in North London?

I made just one purchase from Frank Mozer just before the shop closed - two Motorola piezo-electric tweeters to replace the failed units in a PA loudspeaker. I can't remember anything about the shop really, nor even why I hadn't been there before, except that I had to pass Crescent radio to reach it. Next thing I knew there was a closing-down sign in the window, I resolved to make contact and see what bargains might be had although I never followed it up. Crescent I do remember quite clearly from the early 80's having visited a number of times. They often seemed to have sold out of the very items I had gone in for, which was a little frustrating, especially later on as they appeared to be moving towards car audio etc.

Another reason for not heavily patronising either Mozer's or Crescent Radio was that the Edgware Road and the likes of Henrys and Smiths were easier for me to get to by tube, plus an Edgware Road trip could provide a good half day's entertainment. Also competing with for my custom was Enfield Electronics, a small shop in Baker Street Enfield. Curiously, they always did seem to have what I wanted. The only reason for going there was that one day I got my dad to take me around various places that had been his shops when he was in radio and TV rental, and Enfield Electronics was then occupying one of them. Then there was a shop in Luton that I visited a few times around 1982-84 of which I can't remember the name.

There were enough of these shops around 30 years ago that you could find one or more to suit your interests and location. I am sure that Mozer's was an interesting place, but in its heyday it was one of many such interesting places each with its own circle of knowledgeable bods on either side of the counter. Every visit was a journey of discovery for a youngster.

Lucien