View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2023, 8:10 pm   #75
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Re: Standard Beam Approach - Rebuild update

Hi Richard

Thanks for the offer, I'll bear it in mind but I do have a second indicator and a couple of 'hanger queens'.

Since the last update I've tried the other 5 channels and found one that gives a good healthy 'kick' so my kicker circuit is OK. I've also learned that the metal link on the back of the indicator is a shorting link for the meter and neon grounds inside, very odd, especially as in the really early indicators these terminals connected to an internal lamp according to one document. No sign of where that might have been though.

Currently I'm struggling with the Glide indicator and the AGC. With a 7dbm input the AGC (in Course) is at -2.25V, this goes up to -0.6V at -30dbm. However in Glide - manual gain control - the range from the 'tuning' knob is -14V to -6V. In either case the voltage is too much for the Glide indicator.

I have had to replace the Westectors as they were not rectifying at all. I did suspect at one point that I had put the replacements in the wrong way round as the circuit symbol is confusing but the AGC is apparently changing the right way.

My latest theory is that I need more gain so that the AGC operates at a similar range to the manual gain control. To that end I'm going to follow the AP and (try to) tune one of the channels. However if that works it would seem that the voltage would be even greater at the Glide meter, so I'm not holding out great expectations.

Cheers
James