Old 6th Feb 2023, 1:39 pm   #21
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: The wireless cassette deck - Grundig CF-IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush
I don't know what a digital motor is in the context of a vacuum.
It's just marketing speak for a brushless DC motor controlled by electronics. The motor itself isn't 'digital'. They are now widely used in domestic appliances as they are light and easier to run at high speeds.
Without wishing to continue an off-topic discussion, I feel I can usefully add to this. I have a professional interest in brushless motor drives, and I own at least one appliance which claims a "digital" motor. What distinguishes it technologically is that it only has a single stator winding rather than the usual three phases, and uses high-speed digital signal processing to model the rotation of the permanent magnet rotor in order to commutate the drive to the stator at the right times as the load varies. This results in a motor which is very small and light but rotates at very high speed and delivers a lot of power. In this respect its operation, as well as its marketing, is somewhat more "digital" than most motors.

I've just referred to the service manual of the Grundig and it helpfully includes a reprint of the user manual. This explains that the IR signals can travel a maximum of 10cm between components and - gasp! - you're allowed to put a glass shelf between them too. Otherwise, I presume, they just have to levitate. The possibilities are endless!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230206_132751.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	272777