View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2021, 4:08 pm   #25
spamfritter
Pentode

Default Re: "Converting" 4:3 to 16:9 (Aspect Ratios)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
It's a sad fact that many people can and do tolerate wrongly displayed images. If I stayed in the room it would only be a matter of time before I made a desperate lunge for the remote and started mashing the 'Apect Ratio' button. I wouldn't be able to help myself.

I can see that this might be considered unacceptable behaviour in some circumstances so instead, I politely remove myself from temptation.
Last line I agree with. My wife does not seem to notice errors of aspect ratio. Standard words are "You are just being difficult" come to mind.

I have been moaning about problems of aspect ratio since digital TV came out. If I set my TV to AUTO aspect I expect it to be able to sort it out and on the main 5 channels there is not a problem but others are totally oftenwith flat faces or long thin faces depending on the original aspect ratio. I took this up with the BBC as they used to have a decent engineering dept. but not much hope. The general opinion is that it must be your TV's software ( I have 3 different makes and they all do it) and one so called expert took the standard freeview vision of "You probably need a better aerial".

It appears that some services (ITV3 is an example) just automatically just load a recording and blast it out any old aspect ratio.