View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:20 pm   #10
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Morphy Richards Toaster circa 1950

Morphy Richard toaster elements.
Some years ago I used to get replacement elements on mica panels for toasters from a domestic appliance repair shop.
They apparently are all made now in China, and had to be adapted to fit, in MR or other make toasters.
If the element has broken, usually I suspect due to some poking wildly with a knife, then I have used say 1" of nichrome wire from a scrap bar fire to join it.
But you have to braze the joint, with silver solder. A normal plumbers blow torch is quite hot enough and a very small flame keeps it under control. Use borax as the flux. It is a easy as normal soft soldering. The flat wire often used for the element is quite brittle. I would be nervous of just a twisted joint, maybe it arcs enough to "weld together".
I have used this method also to repair elements of electric convector or fan heaters.

Silver soldering was used anyway by MR in production for the ends of the heater element of the bi-metal strip in the timer, to braze them to a flexible copper braid. (From the outer of a scrap of co-axial cable). Modern toasters use a CMOS counting circuit for the timer, much less interesting, except where the oscillator speeds up as the timing capacitor dries up, and the toasting time becomes too short.
wme_bill