View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2019, 3:04 pm   #173
Semir_DE
Tetrode

Default Re: Hedghog standards converter

Hi Stephen,

good to hear that you got your boards fixed as well!

Taking into account that the FPGA alone costs more than the whole board, I guess this is another case of "you get what you pay for". The problem I see is that there is no telling what quality will be delivered when ordering from China regardless of the trading platform used. I would be happy to pay a little more but get working boards.

Currently it seems like a coin toss whether the boards work or not. As long as we can fix them it is a manageable situation but definitely not OK and I will keep complaining to AE and the vendors there should I receive non working boards. Once a vendor gets several bad ratings, perhaps they will question the source of the products they sell.

As a consequence I have now ordered a hot air soldering station for €32 and some other tools for SMD re-working. These tools and the knowledge gained from re-working boards may come in handy when performing other repairs, so there is a good side to this board issue. I have for instance a 42" LCD TV that intermittently has a washed out picture with stripes. I am pretty sure this is some kind of bad connection of a chip inside the TV. Once I get my tools I will have a go at it

Semir