View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2020, 6:40 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Morphy Richards Toaster circa 1950

I used to repair large numbers of the MR appliance range. The TA/B and the original 1948 model originally employed 240v elements but they did not last long. MR supplied 120V elements as replacements that had to be wired in series parallel. These gave a much extended life and were fitted as new to all later models.
MR products can be dated from the serial number. It starts with two letters before the number. One letter stands for the year of production, the other the month but I can't remember which way round! Should be easy to work out. The code started in 1948 with A.
Yes these toasters were brought in with lamp adapters, 2 and 5 amp two pin plugs and it was no good telling the customer it was dangerous. 'It's been like that for years' was the usual answer.
I had a grand old lady, a bit like Margaret Rutherford. She brought a CA75 iron in for repair with the wires jammed in to a tiny 2 amp 2pin plug. No earth of course. I explained that it was a bit dangerous and should really be earthed.
She looked rather surprised and gave me a classic answer I will never forget. 'Look here young man, I've done far more dangerous things in the back of a car in 1936 than this unearthed iron could ever do..' I was 18 at the time and I had my answer. I can still remember her address. Time passes quickly. John.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 30th Apr 2020 at 6:49 pm.