Thread: Ex TV Engineers
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2015, 5:48 pm   #52
Neanderthal
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ex TV Engineers

Hi Lawrence.
I had RT when self employed. Saved a great deal of time as I was a one man band. The units were Pye Cambridges running 10 watts on 86.65 MHZ. Saved loads of mileage too, as my service area was country based. My workshop fronted onto common land and with farms around it was inevitable I sold the odd radio, for the cowsheds. I was told the cows liked music. I thought it was the cowhands that were musical, not the cows. That however was to be disproved a year later when I had to test some column speakers for a factory.

A herd of dairy cows grazed the common, I never gave them a thought whilst setting up speakers outside and then music was fed in from a high power amplifier. The cows, on the far side, came running towards the sound, udders swinging, then they halted at the electric fence, stood in a long line, ears erect, and seemed to be taking in every note.
The test was halted for fear they might breach the fence, but I do regret not having a camera to hand. I'm now inclined to believe what most would say was an old wives tale.
Mike, G4BIY.