View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2019, 9:50 am   #21
John Caswell
Hexode

Default Re: Dormer & Wadsworth (D&W)

A very minor correction to David's comments above. VITS = Vertical Interval Test Signal.
The manufacturer was Gorler in W. Germany (at the time) and their units, both valve and semiconductor were a staple diet in many West German radios as well as B&O, Heathkit etc
Larsen and Hoedholt (L&H) the Danish manufacturer produced both "front ends" based on dual gate MOSFETS and a complete FM tuner module using that front end, plus the ubiquitous CA3198E for the IF and a KA2265 stereo decoder, you added varicap voltage controls, plus meters etc. and a frequency counter.
Using this module, the L&H 7255, is was possible to build, which I did, a state of the art FM tuner which knocked spots off off most things available at the time.
I also built, a bit earlier, a mono valve FM tuner from a circuit in the American "Radio Electronics " magazine that had 3 RF stages, plus bandpass coupled IF stages. It caused me a few headaches in the beginning, but goodness me how sensitive and selective it was, if signal was passing the aerial it was sucked in. Useless for stereo of course.
On another of David's points about small worlds, I would never have an affair as I know I could walk out of a hotel on the dark side of the Moon, and the next door would open and comment like "****** me John what are you doing here" would come hurtling out
Sorry for the digressions.

John