View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2018, 12:45 am   #57
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: 10M FM - any activity these days?

Somewhere in the loft I've got a mint condition Uniden 2830 multimode CB/10m radio and this covers 10FM. I bought it when CB had died and prices were still low and couldn't resist buying it. The accessories were still sealed in plastic and unused and the radio looks new, and I mean squeaky, shiny new with no marks anywhere. It's an early model with a low serial number and still had the dealer's original anti tamper seals on it and so it hasn't been converted to cover the CB bands. I'm not sure what it's worth nowadays.

Being the early model it has a wide ceramic 10.7MHz IF filter followed by an MC3357 FM/IF chip and it is probably the worst 'CB' I've ever used in terms of signal handling. I recall that I measured the input IP3 to be about -55dBm on FM. I guess this wouldn't matter much on 10FM these days unless there was strong sporadic E propagation. It's a very pretty radio but it is technically very poor in many ways. I don't think Uniden knew how to design multimode radios properly but then again I don't think Cybernet did either.

The Icom 1050 CB was another radio that suffered badly with overload. Probably not quite as bad as the early Uniden 2830 model but I'd recommend putting a decent 10.7MHz crystal filter in it ahead of the 3357 chip.