View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2021, 11:22 pm   #61
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Television in the Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
A happy pair on the screen.

They're happy because the awful original insides of this Baird Townsman have been stripped out and replaced with much better ones - from a Bush TV24A.

Steve
Is that the cabinet that was on ebay some time ago? I went after one some time ago that was advertised as complete but when I got there the original chassis had been replaced with another, I think from a PYE. Working on the principle that there aren't many of them around (and thereby it was the same set) I suspect someone else then bought it, realised it had been butchered, removed the chassis and then resold the empty cabinet. The empty cabinet went for more than I had been offered it for as a complete set, albeit a "Frankenset" .
I wanted one as when I was a lad a schoolfriend tipped me off about an old set going for free when we got there it was a Baird but it had been outside in the rain so I left it behind, it was later seen on the rag and bone man's cart so I guess it was smashed up for the copper and scrap. I regretted then not trying to save it...
If it is the same cabinet I am glad that it got a telly inside it again, No chance I suppose of getting a Baird chassis being so rare? Back in the days when they were in service was the original chassis unreliable ? Maybe that is why it had been swapped?
Rich.