Thread: Lisle St
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2021, 4:34 pm   #14
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Lisle St

Albert, that is very interesting. I sometimes think there might be an outlet for a small book about the history of all the surplus dealers from say WW2 until present day? Latter years would be fewer to write about.

Lisle St, Tottenham Court Rd, Edgware Rd, Little Newport St. All favourite haunts. My friend and I sometimes went by train from Peterborough on a Saturday. I remember buying an APN1 altimeter for 10 bob.. Another time, we both went to Mullard House, Torrington Place to see if we could get free valve data books. There was a doorman, wouldn't let us in. Tried moving us on. But we hung around and he came out with a couple of the Industrial valve books. One about A4, or larger, the other A5 approx. Red and black covers, I still have them somewhere. We then left, happy.
Sometimes, I travelled on my own. Used to know all the tube lines andstations I needed off by heart. Could you imagine that happening today with a 14 year old?!
Rob