View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 5:20 pm   #84
hannahs radios
Hexode

Default Re: Anyone still use a Twintub?

All this brings back memories, firstly my nan had one of those Hoovermatic machines I only saw it used once or twice but having seen the picture of one I know that's what she had.

Mum had two Servis twin tubs, the first one we used until it was knackered. I remember it because when using the heater it would bite you if you touched any uncoated metal parts, although it stopped doing it when we moved house. The second one again lasted many years and I remember I did the washing for mum every Saturday. She would sort it into piles then I'd put it through the wash and spin cycles. One lot of hot water and soap would do for a couple of washes and we always washed the cleanest stuff first and the mankiest last.

The automatic I've got now can do a light wash in 30 minutes at 30 degrees centigrade which is usually good enough.

Finally my friend has one of those Burco boilers, his dad uses it to boil up crabs and other food that needs boiling. He told me that the element blew short circuit to earth. The replacement was rated at 4 kilowatts so has to be run from a 15 amp socket in his workshop. I assume the original element was a bit lower rated so could be run from a normal socket.