View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2018, 3:07 pm   #2
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Beogram 1000V type 5203 repair

Oh dear, by the look of it you've ruined that.

Apart from the very early ones (42V, 42VF etc), the platter is riveted to the hub which is part of the spindle. To remove it (in most cases) you drive out a tiny roll pin from inside a plastic gear (which doesn't do anything) and pull out the whole thing as one unit. These parts are all under the top plate. Some have a larger (gold coloured) bearing housing with a screw which you loosen to release the spindle, but I've only seen a few like that. that looks like someone has wrenched the platter off without doing any of those things, not a good start.

The first thing to do is to get the spindle out and re-attach it (and the hub) to the platter. It has to run true, so if anything is bent you won't be able to do it without access to a decent lathe. Drill the rivets out and tap the holes oversize (M4?). You may need countersunk screws to clear the plastic strobe disc and 45 centre located above.

The end of the spindle is a needle point bearing (very sharp, be careful), if this is damaged the deck is scrap. If not, and even after you've re-attached the hub to the platter properly it still scrapes then you'll need to shim up the bearing a little. Again buying another one may be easier at this point, its the motors and the expensive styli that kill these, not the platters and bearings as a rule.

Extra notes: Looking at the pictures again (with a certain degree of despair...) it seems as if the hub casting has been pulled off the centre spindle somehow. This shouldn't be possible, so its either cracked or broken in some other way. It should be a dead tight fit, I've never seen one come off. If the tolerances are still there you may be able to loctite it back on at the correct height (but I doubt it). It may be necessary to bore out the centre of the hub and make a short sleeve to make it a tight and true fit again - that's what I'd do.

Last edited by Studio263; 6th Dec 2018 at 3:15 pm.