View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 2:04 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Aldi Special Buy - Canon IXUS 185 camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I bought one (full going price) a few years ago.
At this price you would essentially get a genuine spare Canon battery with a free camera and spare charger thrown in. I would imagine the stand-alone price for a genuine Canon NB-11 battery is more.

Haven't really had a chance to take it for a proper test drive yet (terrible weather / bad light) but I played with it for about 20 minutes - I did notice that the 'Macro' (Tulip) symbol is missing from the four way switch on the back but it does have macro, it just works out itself when it needs to use it and autoselects macro mode when the subject is inside macro range.

I did also fear that it might not have any manual modes - My other IXUS cameras have a mode dial switch with 'Auto' and 'Manual' positions and this does not, but it does have a menu selectable 'Program' mode which allows picky people like me to override the camera's choice of exposure, ISO, etc.

I prefer to have separate gadgets which do their one specific task really well, so I still have a separate alarm clock, satnav, computer and, of course, camera.