View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2006, 9:21 am   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco A22 - Hum at various points on dial. Huh?

I've come to the conclusion that the local oscillator stops working on long wave. Why, I don't know. I've checked out all the coils and switchery for continuity, and the associated Rs and Cs.

All seems to be OK, but clearly something isn't, and logic would point to it being soemething such as a duff switch contact. It isn't a major job to remove the whole front end coil unit and band switchery on this set - just unsolder a few wires and it comes out in one chunk for close exmination, switch cleaning etc.

However, as the set is so lively on MW and SW and there's not much on LW anyway, I'm going to leave it as it is. It was in a poor state when I started fettling it up - all the rubber wiring had perished and was bare in places, a replacement transformer was dangling on two screws supported on car wheel nuts for spacers.

Several wires had just been tacked on with dry joints ready to drop off.

The volume control/mains switch was duff and needed replacing.

The dial was cracked and speaker fabric torn - I've replaced both (dial from Clive Mason).

The dial cord needed replacing.

I've replaced all the waxies, but only a few of the Rs had changed in value.

Judging by the pics, many Ekcos have non-original mains and output trannies, so I suppose they're a weakness. One presently on offer has nasty score marks around the perimeter of the dial where the travelling cursor has rubbed it. It's such a focal point that it really mars the appearance and will need replacing to look anything like.

If I could find another A22 at a sensible price in a poor state, so long as the cabinet, knobs and back were intact, I'd gladly have another go at one - a total strip down, chassis de-rust and spray etc.

Sad, isn't it. Maybe I need to get out more?

David.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 20th Apr 2008 at 8:20 pm. Reason: To comply with forum rules.