View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 10:49 pm   #15
andrewgm
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Signal Communications Corp R535 Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
I was just looking at it some more. I have found the tuning line which the PLL uses to adjust the frequency of the local oscillator and all the signal frequency tuned circuits.

If you have a Volt meter it could be interesting to see what that line is doing. At the low frequency end of the band it should have relatively low Voltage increasing the higher in frequency you tune. If that line is stuck with Voltage high or low not moving with tuning then it is fairly sure the PLL is out of lock.

Do you have a Voltmeter of any kind?
Sorry for the delay - what with work, the kids and the wife the ' me time ' gets less and less.

I do have a volt meter but it's pretty basic.
I can use it properly however and will give it a go.

The good news is the pressure is off and the feeling of grief and loss is gone.
I bought another R535.....and an R532 which I've always wanted to try.
If only for it's extra sensitivity.
So, now more than happy to completely blow up the old R535
Which I won't of course.

Let me know what to do...and I hope I understand it

Many thanks

Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
When you picked up the 145MHz-ish local oscillator signal as per post #7, did you try changing the 535 receiver's channel frequency, say, by 100KHz or so and see whether the local oscillator signal shifted by 100KHz too? If it did then it's a sure sign that the PLL is locked and functional and you can direct your attention to some other fault. It may save you a bit of work, and chip changing. I have found the circuit diagram for the receiver but my copy is not very clear.
Alan.
That's interesting Alan and a simple test.
I'll certainly try that and report back tomorrow.

Like previously posted I managed to find another ( the same model ) which will never have the lid removed unless the batteries need changing !
Lesson learned

Thanks for the idea though - I'll do it

Andrew