View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2019, 7:22 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Getting the word out...

I don't know the exact proportions, and it probably varies between auctions, but a large proportion of the items in the RWB auction are from the estates of deceased members.

These are collected by Mike and stored in secure storage units adjacent to his home until they are lotted up in the week or so before the auction. The rest are booked with Mike in advance and bought along on the day. Occasionally a few items are added onto the end of the auction on the day, but that is rare now to avoid people entering junk and stop the auction becoming too big.

The BVWS are fortunate in that we get the storage a lot cheaper than normal commercial rates, and also hire of the van is much cheaper than a normal vehicle rental company. Without this it is unlikely that the auctions would be financially viable for estate sales.

The RWB auction is set up the evening before. This obviously costs more for the hall hire and security, but it means the setting up is less rushed. Also Mike can make a second trip with the van for larger items if necessary, or various cars can be used. This is why the better quality lots tend to go to RWB.

I know less about Harpenden, but I believe it is set up on the morning due to the greater distance and higher cost of the hall. It therefore probably has more items that are bought along on the day, because it can only be one van load of items that are not so delicate.

The BVWS clearance tables at other events such as Punnetts Town and Golborne are also items from the BVWS storage that are bought along on the day. Because they are not being auctioned and there is less of them, setting up is quicker.

This is really why the auctions are where they are - distance from Mike's home and the storage facilities in Devizes. Greater distances would incur higher costs in terms of fuel and overnight accommodation etc, and would also take up more time.

If auctions were to take place in other areas it would need someone else to volunteer to organise and run them, including collecting, recording, storing and lotting the items etc, then sorting out the admin and payments etc afterwards. It would need access to secure dry low cost storage and a van, and a lot of time!

Mike certainly does not want to do any more, and indeed already gives a huge amount of his time to running the existing RWB and Harpenden auctions.

The BVWS committee and other helpers are all volunteers, and we all have busy lives. Likewise with most of the running and setting up etc for the NVCF/RetrotechUK. So the events tend to happen in areas near to where we live or can reasonably get to.

If anyone (whether individual or group) wanted to help with getting an event set up in another part of the UK, whether swapmeet only or swapmeet and auction, I know the BVWS committee would be happy to assist in whatever way we can. But it is a lot of work!

There are various ways of handling it financially, which would be agreed on a case-by-case basis. At some events for example, it is my understanding that the organiser pays for the hall hire and handles table bookings etc, and receives the income from the table bookings, door entry and catering profit, while the BVWS have their stalls for free and retain all commission on the auction and other sales. The BVWS also cover public liability insurance and publicity in the bulletin and online.

Nobody gets rich doing this!

From a BVWS membership point of view, the membership fee pays for the bulletins and postage. The events are, or at least should be, paid for by the entry fees and table fees etc. The auction commission covers the costs involved with running the auctions. It doesn't always quite work out like that, but that is always the intention and it normally comes close.

So although it may feel that you are not getting your membership money's worth if you just receive the bulletins and cannot get to the events, in reality you are actually getting what you are paying for. Overseas members are paying more for membership due to the higher postage costs and are even less likely to attend the events.

I will finish by saying that if anyone wants to volunteer to help in any way, please contact the Chairman.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster