View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2019, 2:28 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Getting the word out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Why not join the BVWS?
Why not indeed. My reason for not joining is simple. The BVWS doesn't live up to the B part of its name. I see lots and lots happening in the south-east corner of the country with an annual foray near Manchester. The rest of the country feels ignored. Yes, I could join and get a nice magazine, but I'd just feel left out even more.

Maybe a hard commercial decision says that the south east offers the density of people to make auctions worthwhile, and so activities are concentrated there, but the obverse side of that coin is that it also shapes where active members will come from. Cause? Effect? Chicken? Egg?

If equipment is being left unsold, maybe the preferred area has reached saturation?

I do try to get to things South of the border, but I really prefer to combine a trip with other purposes. I made it down to Rob's auction near Preston this year and thoroughly enjoyed myself (Met Boater Sam as well as Rob Rusbridge and a supporting cast of authentic pasties). I went down to Telford for the G-QRP and Telford rally. Good to meet some of the QRP gang again, but noticed the lack of the new equipment dealers. Harper Adams agricultural uni is a fine venue.

David