Thread: "Butt" 'phone
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2019, 2:55 pm   #28
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Default Re: "Butt" 'phone

Hello Refugee.
Not sure what you mean with the previous post. The late model butt phones have a call back feature which is the same as redial which is on most of modern phones these days.
The sub's phone does not need to send any information other that the number being dialed or other functions because the sub's line is peculiar to that sub. If the sub has blocked caller ID then that information is not sent from the exchange to the called number and so there is no caller ID shown on the called phone.
If I want to know a customer number for a particular pair I can call cable plans and they will tell me or I can look it up on the computer private system or if I have access to the pair I can ring a certain phone number and there is an automated system that will tell me the customer number.
Have you witnessed this trick being done? I have heard over the years a lot of things that are just not possible.
All of this is really just history in Australia as we have gone to a fully digital system now. The old Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) no longer exists in Australia. It is all digital with the National Broadband Network.
The only place that the butt phones can be of any use is with private networks or within domestic homes where they have the modem set up to deliver decadic calling using heritage phones.
I hope I haven't given you a headache.
Cheers, Robert.