View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2019, 8:46 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Quad FM1 questions

Hi Christopher I think you misunderstood what I said. By "just tape it together" I meant that you didn't need to use connectors or solder connections, simply to try it out, just any sort of tape that was handy. It would indeed be silly to separate the the core [signal wire] in the the coax cable from the outer [the earthed screen] and then join them together [shorting any signal to earth] result zilch!...but that's not what I suggested.

As Nuvistor, said higher frequencies require different handling and the signal needs to be screened on its way to the Tuner. The idea [at the aerial end] is to make one by cutting about a yard of wire in two, connecting one piece to the screen and one to the core [not electrically strapping them together] and that's your dipole aerial There are other means of matching the impedance of the Tuner to the centre of a dipole aerial but coax is more convenient eg for TV/Hi-Fi usage. Once you've read up and seen a dipole diagram it should be very clear. It's all on the InterWeb these days anyway. Years ago we had to haunt the Library in the hope of maybe finding a book or article with relevant information that could be applied methodically.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 6th Jul 2019 at 9:10 pm.