View Single Post
Old 30th May 2019, 7:45 pm   #6
sexton_mallard
Heptode

Default Re: Auritone 16D8 clock radio

Thanks guys for your stories. I tried the Brasso & Pledge method and it has brought the faceplate up much better (and looks better in the flesh than in the pic below). There is still some scoring and a strange squiggle mark which actually looks like a contamination of the plastic as it radiates out from the injection point. I showed this set to my daughter explaining that this was my main form of entertainment before I got my Hi-Fi at 16.

For years I never realised what a VFD actually was until the orange glowing cathode wires, the honeycomb grid and the anode with the fluorescent target in a flat glass package with a evacuation pip on the back and a splodge of a getter seemed to be like a valve...

This set only has a thin black mask with clear windows behind the slightly blue tinted faceplate so allowing the full brightness and colour of the the VFD to show.

That Interstate clock radio is a beauty. My Nephew picked that exact model up at the same car boot a few years ago and I have been on the look-out for one ever since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clockradio.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	184189  

Less snakes...more ladders!