View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2017, 6:57 pm   #52
vishalk
Pentode

Default Re: Leak Stereo 20 and TL12 Plus in need of recommissioning. Help and Guidance needed

Quote:
0.22uF is the nearest preferred value to the 0.25uF. Any working voltage above 350V is suitable, I'd go for 400 or more to give a bit of extra safety margin as the Ht will be around the 320 to 330V mark.
I thought as much

Quote:
Now then, had you read your Spicer book "Firsts in high fidelity", You would have discovered for yourself the reasons for the circuit differences and the differences in the 3925 and 8778 transformers. I don't want to sound "preachy" but most of the info you need is in that book. Including the correct circuit diagrams.
I have been flicking through the book, actually i read about the transformers yesterday as i started reading it from the beginning, only got to chapter three so far!

Quote:
I will also confirm with the rest of the good advice here for you not to get hung up on fancy resistors and capacitors. Use good quality standard plastic film capacitors for coupling. I have stated this in an earlier post, I did the expensive experiments for you so to speak! I used the standard 630V vishay polyester caps in my "new build" of the leak Tl25+ circuit and have never felt any need to "Upgrade" them. And I'm rather fussy about perceived sound quality.
Been reading a great deal on capacitors and perceived sound differences between PIO and POLY types. Not going fancy on the components, they will be good quality though. I may buy some Russian K40Y-9 just to fill the space and try and keep the look. Aside from that, for myself the leak TL12's i'll be my testing amps for different components. One will be with commercial VISHAY/DALE parts, the other ill spend a little more on so called high end audio components and see if i hear a difference.

Quote:
Again, resistors, I use fairly mundane metal film 1% ones as they are as inexpensive as any other good resistor, I also agree with the suggested suppliers from other posters. I usually try RS online for my bits.
Again as others have observed, you are extremely unlikely to get British made components and in any case you'll never get original parts (that are serviceable). So do what HJL would almost certainly have done and use the best value decent quality and appropriate parts available on the market.
On it as we speak! Going to do HJL proud

Quote:
It's great news that your valves have tested good, there's a decent bit of money saved.
Saved some pennies that's for sure, means i can blow the savings on high end components (i'm kidding)

Quote:
I hope I haven't put you off Vishalk and I do hope you get your stereo20 singing soon. I'm listening to mine as I type and very nice it is too.
Not at all Andy it's all good and if most of the members are saying similar things then i will listen and take note. It will be singing and put back to perfect condition i can assure you! Thanks