View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 12:46 am   #4
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Re: Ever Ready / Pifco / Trehawk front cycle lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
I think I might know what you mean by "placement" but I don't think the lack of it is down to LED per se.

I would put it down to the fact that they are typically much brighter than a torch bulb, and often have a wider, less focused beam, so they need to be angled downwards to light your way, and the moving pool of light to give the "placement" to other road users. There will be plenty of penumbral light from the lamp to warn others as well. It's when the intense beam shines into your eyes you lose the placement.

I think LED cycle lamps are a great safety improvement when used correctly.

The flashing ones may be a step too far for you, but how would you feel about modifying a traditional one with an LED and a largish lithium ion cell with a charging socket?
Actually I am looking into adding USB charging to my Trehawk. Small circuits are available ready made and I have some USB sockets. The easier they are to use the better.

As to LED bike lighting it can be good but too many are poorly implimented so drivers cannnot see where the bike is as the glare and diffuser (part of the lens) breaks up the beam.

LED could be added via one of the excellent MES modules, but I kept it as bulb because I prefer this.