View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2017, 3:05 pm   #1
llama
Octode

Default 1/2" adaptor for Chinese cartridges

I have a couple of these for experimentation really. Looking at the base closely with an eyeglass I can't see an easy way to furnish a clip-in fixing. I remember someone used the supplied stylus guard as a mounting but I'd like to keep that available to guard the stylus. A look in my box of scrap cart bits didn't produce anything promising at all.

Measuring the slot in its base I find it is 5mm wide and about 13mm long. I decided to make a U-shape-plus-flanges adaptor to go into the cart's base and made up the one shown in the first picture very quickly. The 7mm dimension is approximate.

Casting around for suitable material I decided to use some light gauge ally - the "sleeve" around the top of a wine bottle after you've unscrewed the cap. A quick slit with a craft knife and it's off. I used wallpaper scissors to cut off the rippled section and the rest easily flattens. Drinks cans may provide the ally but I think the wine ally is a slightly tougher gauge. I used the scissors to cut myself a 13mm wide strip and then shaped it with fine-nose pliers.

Having checked it fitted the cart slot I measured 1/2" across the flanges centred on the U-shape and just twizzled a 2mm drill bit in my fingers to make suitable holes and then trimmed the flanges leaving a little land beyond the fixing holes. Using rather finer scissors I made the holes into slots.

I then super-glued the U-shape into the cart slot and left it to harden, followed by an application of hot-melt to partly fill the slot with this new bracket embedded. It was easy to fit it into a standard head-shell as shown. The white blob is the stylus guard and the whole lot is resting on bubble-wrap.

Hope this idea is useful to others.
Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RBbracket.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	150740   Click image for larger version

Name:	RBcart-2sm.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	150741