View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2020, 12:46 pm   #84
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Uher CR 240 AV Cassette Recorder

Removed the record switch contact arm locking pin (and disengaged locking latch) and tried moving the arm to see if record led would go out, it would not go out at any position of the arm (this is with all plug in boards removed).

Rotated the contact arm 180 degrees and now have correct operation of the Record LED, (by manually moving the contact arm to Play and Record positions) also checked continuity of the numerous record/play switch contacts (using Uncle Bulgaria's very useful Record/Play switch contact sketch), all are good.

In this position the first contact of the contact arm (as looking from the front left hand side) is uppermost, which agrees with Uncles Bulgaria's previous inputs.

But now the contact arm metal latch mechanism is on the left side of the contact arm and will not latch and from previous discussions know that it should be on the right hand side.

So the only logical conclusion is that when I superglued the 2 broken halves of the contact arm together I got them 180 degrees out. At the time was sure they fitted that way due by the broken line marks on the 2 halves appearing to match up.

So looks like I need to break the superglue joint without wrecking the contact arm pieces and re-glue them the other way around, which will be a challenge.

First I will refit the boards and see if Record/Playback actually work with the contact arm in the correct way and manually operate the record switch to the Record and Play positions (with no latch).

David