View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2017, 6:32 pm   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Memories and other stories from Pye etc PMR engineers.

Yet another memory.
Locally, we had the sugar beet factory. At the top of the s48000 ton silos was a comm site mostly Pye f30AM.
Because the lift to the top (198ft) was sometimes out of order, it meant a long climb up ladders to restore the AA or Securicor comms which were both F30AM.
Us engineers often campaigned for the gear to be moved to a hut at ground level with low loss LDF4-50 feeders to the aerials at the top. Surveys were done, "NO, it costs too much". So, we put up with this situation. (These days, H&S would have a fit!)
One day, i arrived to do a repair. There was a brand new sign next to the ground floor lift door. "Glass is prohibited beyond this point" or similar.
YES!! I had in my hand a QQVO3-10 valve in a carton. So, I went to see the silo foreman. He nearly had a fit! Quoting the regulations, H&S, and whatever else he could think of, I was NOT to proceed. Get ff the site! So, buck was then passed to my controller.
24 hours later, I was told that "our" glass was exempt!
To the day it was demolished, afaik all the tx/rx remained at the top of the silos!
Rob