View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2020, 2:06 pm   #25
Beobloke
Heptode

Default Re: Audiojumble Sun 16th Feb

I can only apologise as I was one of the stallholder no-shows on Sunday.

After a night of epic wind and rain, we got up and were on the road to Tonbridge from Hampshire at 5:45am. However, the flooding on the A32 up towards Alton was positively biblical, and the rain was still coming down hard. I crawled through one part where the water was about 4 inches deep for a hundred yards or more, then later came on a surprise puddle round a corner, which I hit at 40mph, and the car started spluttering and flashing the Engine Management light at me before recovering! I decided to keep going until we got to the A31 dual carriageway and see how that was, but it was just as bad. My wife then asked the fundamental question ”How many people will turn up, do you think?” just as we got to a break in the central reservation, so I used it to turn round and we went home and back to bed!

On the upside, though, she did ask if my old Range Rover (which I still miss like crazy) would have been troubled by this deluge, to which i was truthfully able to reply that it wouldn't have even noticed it, so maybe something good could come out of this yet!

As to the early packing up -as mentioned, my alarm went off at 5am. By 2pm when the hall is half empty, I haven't sold anything for an hour or more and I know I have a 1.5 - 2 hour drive home ahead of me plus unpacking the car to look forward to, then I'm going to pack up.

As an aside, one might also suggest that turning up right at the end to grab a bargain isn't really in the spirit of the event, Anyone who tries that on me when I'm packing up and who hasn't shown any prior interest in the item in question gets a polite refusal.