View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2017, 12:27 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Printing White Lettering on Water-Slide transfers ('decals')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
I can feel David talking himself into another job!
I cant!!

Hopefully the tips might help others to have a pop at it though.

Of course, some people prefer not to 'destroy the patina' of old equipment, and find it offensive to the eye to see old things looking like new. That's a separate topic and a well travelled road, but it's not as though we're sanding down a Chippendale chair and giving it two coats of Ronseal is it? To take as an example, a Wartime Civilian Receiver. I have one that was scruffy and it could have stayed that way - it had a manky dial and top logo, no back and torn speaker fabric. I re-created the dial and top transfer, made a new back and label, and renovated the cabinet. All in all, though 'you can't put lipstick on a pig', to my eyes it looks presentable enough to be on display.

The most recent transfers I've created were to fit a logo to a scruffy VP4 valve that I'd tidied up & re-sprayed gold, and for a label for the AM/FM converter which featured in the Bulletin and on this forum. The one for the valve and the WCR dial were on clear decal paper - the others on white. These are simple examples - my CAD skills are very limited, and I'm not in a position to offer to print transfers for others, but cite them as examples. I'm sure others on the forum could cite far more impressive examples, which hopefully might encourage others to have a go. The paper isn't very expensive, you don't need a special printer, and all that's at stake is your time.

As to the 465kHz aligner, the bits are in the post to me. If it doesn't work, at least it should look good on the shelf! With several signal generators, I don't need an aligner, but small things amuse small minds, so it's yet another little frolic to keep me entertained and to maintain the connection between my brain and my hands!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wartime Civvy set dial.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	150842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Label transfer fixed.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	150848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front of Wartime Civvy set.jpg
Views:	290