View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2006, 4:49 pm   #89
Courtney Louise
Octode

Default Re: TV22 Restoration

Hi guys.

While doing this project I must emphasise more than ever the comments made by others on this site..

1, one component at a time, even though you will have to pretty much change all waxies and most electrolytics.
Don't just cut them all out and wonder where they went. In the days of tag strip even to the circuit usually matches it won't always look like you expect. Earthing points and joins between other components may be nowhere near where you think they should be.

2, no matter how many times you have checked your work, check it again. Two of my faults were cause by me - one wire I had missed completely because it hid behind a transformer. and one that had broken, and again I couldn't see that it was until I tried to move it out of the way.

3, Check previous repairs... they won't always be right...

4 and final tip from me. STAY SAFE. I was so scared of touching the inside of a TV when I first started due to the EHT voltages and possible live chassis; all it takes is a little common sense and they don't have to be half as scary.

Remember, also, to get the best service info you can find and watch out for revisions and modifications that won't always be on the service sheet.

Thanks for reading

Andi

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 14th Dec 2007 at 9:50 am. Reason: S&P