Thread: Racal RA17
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2018, 1:18 pm   #1
stuartwwillis
Retired Dormant Member

Default Racal RA17

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm also a millennial. So please excuse my witlessness and unfamiliarity with what I'm about to request assistance with...

When I was 13 years old I snuck into my dad's shed and fiddled with the switches and turn dials on his prized Racal RA17. Suddenly, the lights went out on the rolling frequency display and the undulating static fell to silence. I ran from the shed as if I'd never been there in the first place.

Later that evening I was at the receiving end of my old man's bellowing voice as he had discovered what had happened. I had obviously left the dials and switches in a manner that only an 13 year old boy would. As a result, I had been rumbled. Despite being so young at the time I don't think he's ever truly forgiven me for it. It seems to hold sentimental value to him as he has kept it in his shed ever since. I'm 28 now and 15 years have passed. Its his birthday in September and I would love to present a working Racal RA17 receiver to him (preferably the original one).

Repair

I appreciate there could be any number of issues with it and it may be a long and painstaking process to get it working again but I am willing to try.

My questions are as follows:

- Is this likely to be a repair job I can do myself? i.e. are there some basic repair steps I can take first before getting it looked at by a professional?

- Is it possible to blow a fuse (or the equivalent in this receiver) by turning knobs and dials in a certain combination? Obviously it is as I've done it! But, I want to eliminate any other causes first.

- I live in Taunton, Somerset. Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere I could take relatively local it to be looked at?

Thanks so much.

Stu