View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2018, 4:50 pm   #58
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: The Best GDO Ever Made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalpete View Post
Re: The Best GDO Ever Made?
Ref G0HZU - Fully agree with your remark about the Maplin Dip Meter - I have one and ''not very good'' is an understatement. If I can drag you all back to the title of this thread, Dear Readers, which is the best GDO?
Well, getting back on topic, could you say whether you want to acquire a GDO working & complete, build one from scratch, or might a kit be of interest? I mention the latter because I believe that there has been a kit recently available from a German ham which has been highly rated, but I don't currently have a detailed knowledge of it. Of course there was that kit from Ambit which was very popular (G3), but they are probably now collectors items.

I wonder why the Maplin GDO is so disappointing? Something I note about the Model 59 are the large coils; something around 1" diameter on what looks like a good grade material (polystyrene?) and no ferrite slugs in sight. That style was maintained on the later PMR-10. Comparisons with an HRO coil-pack spring to mind. In contrast, most modern GDO's usually have quite small coils. It's not hard to believe that the coil design of a GDO matters appreciably.

B