View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2021, 12:21 pm   #17
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Looking for a Bench PSU suggestions please.

Almost correct, in the Thurlby - Thandars they are tied together with silicon diodes so that the PSU out and sense-in terminals can never be more than 0.6V different when they are not connected together by any other means, but for mission critical supply voltages even that much disparity between the actual output and the indicated output could be too much.

The sense-in terminals aren't used as part of the voltage regulation loop in these Thurlby-Thandar power supplies, it would be more accurate to think of them as voltmeter-input terminals.

The PSU output voltage is under control regardless of whether the output and sense-in terminals are strapped together - it's only the meter reading which goes offset, but if you then adjust the output voltage control so that the meter indicates the desired voltage - as you would - then the actual output voltage is not what the meter says it is.

That is why, as I said, I strap the output and sense-in terminals together internally on all the ones that I personally use.