View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2019, 1:34 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: AR88 Front Panel Colour

I too have an early AR88 (no suffix) with engraved copper-plated panel.

It has a label inside that it was refurbed in the early 1950s, which is when I think it got its PVC wiring harness. It also has an S-meter. Tuning scale is all yellow except where the previous owner tried cleaning it and sketched the scale back in in biro!

When I got it in the mid sixties, the panel was in black wrinkle and showing a lot of age. I suspect it was black wrinkle from Camden NJ. I've heard about flat black ones, but never seen one.

Due to mum's opinion of the ratty wrinkle, it got stripped and stove enamelled in grey hammer. OK that may now be seen as sacrilege, but it wasn't then. It's now been grey hammer for most of it's life so it can stay that way.

I did however buy a new old stock all yellow tuning scale at a G-QRP doo ten or so years ago. What are the chances of finding one of those?

I'vew no clues as to where it's been used, but I've forgotten which organisation is responsible for the rebuild label, but as that was post-war it isn't any help.

DAvid