View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2019, 9:33 pm   #1
Goodizzy
Pentode

Default Rogers Ravensbourne amp restore

Good afternoon,

I have acquired a "working" Rogers Ravensbourne amp after being bit by the collector's bug. I have a few other amps from the era and love these early transistor designs!

Before plugging it up to the variac, I've been cleaning it with a dry brush and blowing the dust out with compressed air. (It was dirty!) The amp appears to be all original. (to my eyes at least)

I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys could answer-

- The amp didn't come with a wooden case. I've taken off the metal brackets on both sides of the amp's chassis, exposing the input PCB and the mains transformer sides of the amp. Is there a method to get to the bottom of the amp to complete my brushing/blowing? (There are a lot of screws on the underside)

- Is it safe to clean the topside of the amp's PCBs with denatured alcohol or equivalent cleaner? How about the face plate?

- The speaker connectors are funny in this amp and didn't come with my purchase. I have a few spare of the Rogers/Armstrong 2-pin connectors from amps like the Armstrong 500 series. I haven't gotten them out to see if they would be direct replacements since I haven't figured out how to access the underside yet.

- Would it be advantageous to spray the push buttons with switch cleaner or deoxit? I haven't seen these types before so I don't wish to damage them.

- Any other general advice or known issues I should address before firing the amp up? I imagine it may need a recapping and bias adjust once I can get it running.

I appreciate any help you guys could provide. This place is a wealth of knowledge for someone like me far away and I always enjoy conversing about this equipment. Regards,

Chris