View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 5:26 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Jonell Radio. A cheaper version of the Ace 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeChristofi View Post
Can you think of any other set that had the mains connected directly to the rectifier? I may look at a diagram for that just to see if it was common practice to just have a filament transformer with the rest of the set direct to the wall.
There were a number of the cheap 1950s/1960s TRF "kit" sets [Premier Radio etc] which used a 6.3V heater-transformer but fed the mains straight to a half-wave rectifier to provide the HT (along with a live chassis).

I wonder if - given your description of the set apparently having been 'got at' - perhaps it once had a proper HT-secondary winding on the transformer but this has gone open-circuit and someone's decided to keep it going by kludging together a 'live chassis' approach for the HT, wiring the mains straight to the rectifier as would have been the case for an AC/DC set?

I can easily see how, being told by an early-1960s repairman "It's going to be at least £5 for a new transformer, assumimg I can find one to fit" a customer could have said 'is there no cheaper way to fix it?', the repair man drawing on his inevitable Capstan Full-Strength and saying "Well...."