View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2012, 4:11 pm   #19
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: Philips B6X12A on the fritz…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Zalmrol View Post
The shopping cart at that moment wasn't complete (hence my words "This is my order list so far")
OK Laurens, I hope you didn't think my remark was in any way flippant which was never my intention. You are certainly better ordering another 16uF capacitor instead of considering using a 10uF. Even with the wide tolerance found on electrolytics, 10uF is a little too low in value.

Quote:
Also I've found some other resistors that are looking tired and even some that have scorch marks on them (even one that is burned through)… The elco's I've replaced so far, definitely needed to be replaced, the soft rubber escape seals on them all are blown
Yes, if components are visibly heat damaged and/or leaking then replacing them is a good idea even if they are not the cause of the fault you originally described.

Quote:
The radio plays, but you definitely hear some humming/ buzzing noise on every channel, when you power off the radio and unplug for a day, the problem seems to be gone. But when you use it again sooner or later that day the problem returns…
That description sounds very much like a component(s) changing in value when they warm up.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk