View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2011, 11:34 pm   #1
Don_Zalmrol
Hexode

Default I want to build a stereo headset valve amplifier

Hello,

A recent topic (here) of mine revealed to me that my valve amplifier kit is not suited to power a headphone.

But being used to the sound created by this amplifier I do not wish to part from it.

So now I'm looking to a way to make my own headset amplifier.

Now some posters advised me to build my own amplifier from scratch, I'm interested in this kind of subjects but am a bit afraid for ruining the project by a huge error/ fault of my own. And thusly the costs will up for buying the new replacements parts or if the sh*t hits the fan that everything would be busted!

I know a thing or two about electronics (mainly kits from Velleman, school, …), but not on the subject on making something like this. I know that home-brewed amps can give extra's to the design. But I'm looking to something straight forward, good quality and durable.

The headset I'm using is an Sennheiser HD558 which works on 50 Ohms of impedance.

I've been looking at some available kits from the internet and came across some interesting kits:

- Bottlehead amplifiers from the US
- Mableaudio

The amplifier (VT-96PP) I currently have is from Mable-audio although the name is nowhere stamped on it (it says Jukebox-Revival from the store I bought the kit) and the ones of interest are the:

- EL84/12AX7
- 6V6 /12AX7

Which give me the option to use my headphones continuously or power a small speaker system, which sometimes would be nice. But mainly I will use my headphones!

So I like to hear from you what is better a kit or home-brewed?

Thanks in advance!