View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2019, 3:33 pm   #56
HoraceBatchelor
Triode

Default Re: 'THAT' Capacitor. What is it?

Following on with this capacitor question. To a complete novice like me it is so confusing. It's just a question with too many answers. To get answers like, "change that cap if you don't do anything else" Or "you need to change all paper, wax caps", viable answers but.......I started as purely a collector not a fixer. But as my collection grows i would like to be able to do the simplest of fix where's needed. Two of my radios, cracking looking sets both, a Philips 141u and a Bush vhf 70 need a fix just to allow me to say that they work even if its only a couple of minutes per week. the 141u works good enough for what i need. but its got a big black cap that is burst open making me not keen to use it. The Bush doesn't work as well, only lots of whistling and crackling as it passes where stations are.

So to begin with i downloaded the bush manual thinking i may learn something. No. just more confused. the page showing all the numbered components would be a great help if i knew what they were and what they do, and the ones to replace them with, but i don't. No doubt someone will tell me to read the numbers on the original and replace with similar, but when no numbers are visible it becomes difficult. Take the blown cap in the Philips for example, any writing that may have been on it, is no longer visible.

Is there an answer to these questions that anyone can give me. Or should i just concentrate on collecting and leave the mending to you experts? But i don't want to do that. i want to tell people when they look at my collection that, "this is one that i fixed." So any suggestions will be appreciated.
HoraceBatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote