View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2021, 8:39 am   #1
Chris-Something
Triode

Default Sony TC-560 | Slow Fast-Forward & Rewind

Hi, I have a nice Sony TC-560 reel-to-reel tape deck which I found a few years ago in the back of a truck, en route to a dump.

I have since fixed a few issues it had (dirty heads, sticky switches, belts, VU meters...) but one particular issue that I just can't seem to fix is the torque in fast-forward and rewind modes. It's really slow to accelerate and the top speed is nothing like I'd imagine it should be. A lot of the time it stops before reaching the end of a spool.
I have used two different motors with two servo amp boards, one of which was recapped and no combination of these parts changed anything. Though now I realise that fast-forward and rewind by-passes the servo amp board anyway, I think.
I have the service manual, but I am not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to schematics and I don't have a scope or any of that fun test equipment. I really don't know where to start looking, though I did start replacing capacitors on the power amplifier board (again, no change).

I really hope someone here can shed some light on this problem and help me out. Thanks in advance.