View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2021, 8:52 pm   #2808
Barnmead
Pentode

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

I have read with interest the helpful thread back in December 2018 "Avo 36 range restoration" particularly about the fuses as all mine are dead and bridged with fine wire.

Answers to your questions:

The leather case was is almost identical to other genuine AVO ones I have except it has green felt like lining and steel rather than brass buckles and studs for the shoulder strap.

The leads were cloth covered and ended in a screwed (1BA?) piece of brass rod into which the probes or croc clips fit, Hook spades on meter ends. I have made new leads.

The Z adjuster on mine is chrome plated.

The case appears original and lists 36 ranges. Unlike later meters the anti-tamper screw is on the lower left hand side.

I discovered an open circuit on one of the high value resistors and burnt out end turns on the R ohms adjuster, both now fixed. Fortunately with a magnifying glass I found the broken ends and after many attempts managed solder a piece of copper wire to join them up.

I used an inch or so of wire from a 400 ohm resistance bobbin wrapped around one of the fuses to get about 4 ohms and found the meter was remarkably accurate, not bad for something made when I was a toddler!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3319.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	235736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3322.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	235737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3324.jpg
Views:	82