View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2021, 3:49 pm   #53
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Thorn 6204 hum after fitting new plug wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKrupa View Post
replacing those caps looks like a serious job to me, it'll get done I'm sure...
Replacing coupling capacitors can vary from very simple to very difficult depending upon several things, particularly their physical location. On some recorders some of the capacitors may be buried under lots of other components and cables which can make it difficult to locate, identify and access them.

On your unit an example of a simple one is the 0.01uF connected to the volume control wiper (middle connection) as per Post 27 4th photo. This electrically connects through to the control grid (pin 2) of the ECC83 (V1B) second stage.

Just for information there is a second coupling capacitor (0.005uF) that connects to the end of the screened cable that connects to the volume control LHS connection. This capacitor connects to the anode output (pin 6) of the first stage of the ECC 83 (V1A). This capacitor connection most likely connects direct (could connect via a terminal strip) to pin 6 together with anode 220k load resistor.

I should stress that these 2 capacitors are not the ones that would be of concern for the output transformer.

David

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 23rd May 2021 at 4:33 pm. Reason: fixed quote